Skip to main content

Storytelling and Influence

Dr Patient Consult 2025 by
Geoffrey Sutton & Artspace

 Yesterday, I spoke with my physician about a procedure, which required his referral to a specialist. He mentioned some pros and cons but said he only had about five patients who had undergone the procedure. Then, he asked if I knew anyone who had had it done. I didn't, and he thought that was unfortunate. I left with the impression he wasn't enthusiastic about the referral. I was just seeking the opinion of the expert. However, my doctor did tell me the procedure was costly, which made me think I might not get an objective analysis from the specialist.

Why would a doctor ask if I had a friend who had the procedure? Since his sample of five patients did not fare well, he was reluctant to give a blanket referral. I understand that; however, because I am somewhat familiar with research methods and statistics, I prefer information from a large sample with reliable data.

What can we learn from research?

It turns out, a friend's story can be persuasive. Weirui Wang (2024) observed that we tend to be less defensive when we learn about something from a friend. He and his colleagues studied the influence of friends in a controlled experiment. It turns out the opinions of friends are more influential than factual information. Of course, one has to hope friends offer verifiable facts and not misinformation.


Source of Wang's study: https://spsp.org/news/character-and-context-blog/wang-storytelling-tactic-correcting-misinformation?_zs=mMdnc&_zl=lbVL4

Related Posts

Influence -The psychology of persuasion

Propaganda and Psychology


See Geoffrey Sutton’s books
 on   
AMAZON       or  GOOGLE STORE

Follow on    FACEBOOK   Geoff W. Sutton    

   X  @Geoff.W.Sutton    


You can read many published articles at no charge:

  Academia   Geoff W Sutton     ResearchGate   Geoffrey W Sutton 

 

Dr. Sutton’s posts are for educational purposes only. See a licensed mental health provider for diagnoses, treatment, and consultation. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage Under Reconstruction

The 1950s imaginary sentimental love man as protein-carbs winner (bring home the bacon & breadwinner) marriage has ended for most people in most Western cultures. Some folks retain that image, or some photoshopped version of it, as the ideal traditional marriage.  Picture the happy couple at church with King James Bibles under their arms and you get the Protestant Christian version of this traditional marriage. Changes are a constant The changes in marriage and romantic relationships in the last few decades are staggering for anyone alive before the 1960s. Human behavior is my business. I am a psychologist. The counseling advice offered to couples seems to reflect the mythology of the decade rather than recommendations sourced in science. I would like to say that the nature and extent of the changes in marriage and romantic relationships have never been seen before in human history. But I am no historian. Nevertheless, the changes call for some consider...

Why Social Spaces Are Psychological Forces

Louise Penny has noted that Quebec, the setting of her novels, operates almost as a character in its own right. This observation is more than literary flair; it reflects a psychological truth. Environments exert influence. They shape perception, emotion, and behavior. In social psychology, we recognize that human functioning is inseparable from context. Our interactions with others affect our mood, cognition, motivation, and even our physiological health. This is why social context is a core dimension of the SCOPES framework. Yet physical environments — even in the absence of people — also exert measurable effects. Consider how interior spaces communicate safety, warmth, or threat. A familiar chair can regulate stress; a poorly designed one can amplify discomfort. Sensory cues such as scent, sound, and texture influence our emotional states in subtle but powerful ways. Outdoor environments operate similarly. Natural settings often promote restoration, while harsh or polluted environmen...

EASTER: VARIATIONS IN BELIEF

Differences in Religious & Spiritual Beliefs Relevant to the Easter Story By Geoffrey W. Sutton, Ph.D. at suttong.com Like most Christians, my wife and I attend an Easter Service. And, a s usual, the media rise to the Spring occasion with Bible stories, comments from various religious leaders and a few atheists—just to keep things balanced. Other religions are on the back burner until Monday. So many statements of beliefs come from the Easter events.  For now, here’s a sample of some core beliefs from various sources. God: 51% believe in God as in the Bible Statista (May, 2023) reported US belief "in God as described in holy scriptures" at 51%. Another 22% reported a belief in a higher power or spirit. Pew researchers from 2021 find 58% believe in God as described in the Bible and another 32% believe in a God or Higher Power.  Belief in God is obviously a core belief. U.S. belief has declined to 58% having no doubt God exists and another 17% have do...