Skip to main content

Memorials 2023

 

Unmarked grave of Grandmother Mary Sutton
and daughter Margaret

A Day of Remembrance

I began thinking about Memorial Day in a different way this year. I especially like the old name of Decoration Day—a day to decorate the gravesites and honour those who died while they were in service.

Memorial Day has to be different for we immigrants who do not have close connections to family members or close friends who actually died in service. Yet we can appreciate their sacrifice and the freedoms we enjoy. At some point, I learned the difference between Memorial Day and Veteran’s Day.

In an era of considerable travel, we are often far away from the graves of those who have passed. I recall visiting some European cemeteries where many young Americans are honoured. But they are so far from families in North America.

What makes things different this year is the experience of visiting grave sites and a memorial in England of family members who I can no longer greet. I can appreciate more than in the past those kind people who ‘decorate’ the grave sites even as they mourn.

I entered the north entrance of St Paul’s Cathedral a few weeks ago. There’s a special chapel for those who died during the recent pandemic. I opened a computer screen and saw my cousin whose funeral I attended online. I was surprised at my feelings and glad for a place to sit and be still. And I was impressed by the kindness of the staff who offered support even though I was not the grieving mother, sister, or children. I can hardly imagine their pain.

Chapel in St Paul's for those who died during the Pandemic

In another venue, I went with cousins to visit the gravesite of our grandmother and one of her daughters. It’s an unmarked grassy area identified by its proximity to a soldier’s memorial. And I think of those families who don’t even have an unmarked grave to decorate. Surely the decorations are for us, the living.

Later, I visited the gravesite beside a church where an uncle and aunt are buried. I was there with their only daughter and one of their granddaughters. And with more sadness, my cousins honoured their husband and dad who served as a fire service chaplain. He left us only a few years ago.

So, we appropriately mourn with those who mourn.

A moment of silence,

A flag,

A bit of sprucing up,

And flowers.

Remembering those who enrich us now with good memories from yesteryear.

 

 

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SPIRITUAL ABUSE: An Investigation

Investigating Spiritual Harassment and Abuse  WP Post Article In an exclusive article, Ian Shapira reported on problems within the US Anglican Church (2025, October 24). Two leaders in the Anglican church are identified early in the WP report.    [Ruch, who has been a bishop for 12 years, is one of two top leaders in the continent’s Anglican denomination confronting allegations of wrongdoing. The other is its senior-most official, Archbishop Stephen Wood. A married father of four sons, Wood, 62, has been accused by a former employee of trying to kiss her last year inside his church office in South Carolina, according to a new church presentment, which The Washington Post obtained in advance of its Monday submission. The accusations, which include plagiarizing sermons and demeaning colleagues, could prompt an ecclesiastical trial against Wood and his removal from ministry, according to the denomination’s laws. (Shapira, 2025).] ***** My concern is for people who have exper...

Marriage Under Reconstruction

The 1950s imaginary sentimental love man as protein-carbs winner (bring home the bacon & breadwinner) marriage has ended for most people in most Western cultures. Some folks retain that image, or some photoshopped version of it, as the ideal traditional marriage.  Picture the happy couple at church with King James Bibles under their arms and you get the Protestant Christian version of this traditional marriage. Changes are a constant The changes in marriage and romantic relationships in the last few decades are staggering for anyone alive before the 1960s. Human behavior is my business. I am a psychologist. The counseling advice offered to couples seems to reflect the mythology of the decade rather than recommendations sourced in science. I would like to say that the nature and extent of the changes in marriage and romantic relationships have never been seen before in human history. But I am no historian. Nevertheless, the changes call for some consider...

Why Social Spaces Are Psychological Forces

Louise Penny has noted that Quebec, the setting of her novels, operates almost as a character in its own right. This observation is more than literary flair; it reflects a psychological truth. Environments exert influence. They shape perception, emotion, and behavior. In social psychology, we recognize that human functioning is inseparable from context. Our interactions with others affect our mood, cognition, motivation, and even our physiological health. This is why social context is a core dimension of the SCOPES framework. Yet physical environments — even in the absence of people — also exert measurable effects. Consider how interior spaces communicate safety, warmth, or threat. A familiar chair can regulate stress; a poorly designed one can amplify discomfort. Sensory cues such as scent, sound, and texture influence our emotional states in subtle but powerful ways. Outdoor environments operate similarly. Natural settings often promote restoration, while harsh or polluted environmen...