Skip to main content

Psychology of Religion and Mental Health





"
Thank God for psychologists and Lexapro. Without them, I might be dead today."
--Jonathan Merritt (2018, February 16)


Jonathan Merritt's body vibrated. Then he had difficulty breathing. He grips us with his story of a panic attack.

Then he shares his story of faith and psychology. Friends diagnosed a spiritual problem. A professor advised against a professional therapist saying, "you already have a wonderful counselor in Jesus."

Merritt has more to say about Christian beliefs and mental health so, I suggest reading his post. I now move to related thoughts on Christianity and psychology.

*****

I was sitting in a church pew one Sunday evening when a pastor launched into a rant against psychology. I left and never went back. At the time, I was in the process of earning a master's degree in Counseling at the University of Missouri-Columbia. Since those days, I find that my profession is still unwelcome in many conservative churches and Christian organizations.

At about the time I left that conservative congregation, I learned that a group of psychologists were working on ways to integrate Christian faith and psychological science (www.caps.net). Although, most of the integrationists focus on ways to integrate faith and clinical practice, rather than other areas of psychological science.

At some point, a number of Christian universities began to offer graduate degrees in psychology, counseling, or both. Today, there are a variety of approaches available to Christians who want to remain loyal to their Christian beliefs and find evidence-based interventions to eliminate or control distressing conditions like panic attacks, depression, anxiety, relationship struggles, sex and gender-related distress, and more.


*****

Merritt’s story is a reminder that divisions between faith and science persist. I suspect there will always be religious people who are so skeptical of science that they will not consider help that does not come from their religious leaders. However, I think the percentage of people opposed to scientific interventions is dwindling along with the social values conservative Christians used to teach and practice only a few decades ago.

Merritt’s story explains one reason many Christians no longer consider psychologists as enemies—psychotherapy works. And sometimes, psychotherapy plus medication is the best available approach.

In fairness, I should add that many people improve when they share their concerns in the context of a warm and caring relationship. People also improve when their expectations are raised such as when beginning an organized course of treatment (placebo effect). And, unfortunately, some people who attend professional counseling do not improve. So, I support the inclusion of "lay counseling" as a Christian ministry, provided that they participate in an educational program.

I write about Christian cultures and social-moral values.

Here’s a recent book: A House Divided

















Discussions of A House Divided have been well-received in conservative and liberal settings--in churches, universities, and a seminary.  The book is free to professors as an exam copy from PICKWICK. The publisher - PICKWICK- also offers group discounts.

A low cost Discussion Guide can be found on AMAZON.


Buy an eBook on AMAZON and at other bookstores.





Connections and Links to Resources

My Page    www.suttong.com

My Books   AMAZON

FACEBOOK   Geoff W. Sutton

TWITTER  @Geoff.W.Sutton

LinkedIN Geoffrey Sutton  PhD

Publications (many free downloads)
     
  Academia   Geoff W Sutton   (PhD)
    
  ResearchGate   Geoffrey W Sutton   (PhD)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage Under Reconstruction

The 1950s imaginary sentimental love man as protein-carbs winner (bring home the bacon & breadwinner) marriage has ended for most people in most Western cultures. Some folks retain that image, or some photoshopped version of it, as the ideal traditional marriage.  Picture the happy couple at church with King James Bibles under their arms and you get the Protestant Christian version of this traditional marriage. Changes are a constant The changes in marriage and romantic relationships in the last few decades are staggering for anyone alive before the 1960s. Human behavior is my business. I am a psychologist. The counseling advice offered to couples seems to reflect the mythology of the decade rather than recommendations sourced in science. I would like to say that the nature and extent of the changes in marriage and romantic relationships have never been seen before in human history. But I am no historian. Nevertheless, the changes call for some consider...

Why Social Spaces Are Psychological Forces

Louise Penny has noted that Quebec, the setting of her novels, operates almost as a character in its own right. This observation is more than literary flair; it reflects a psychological truth. Environments exert influence. They shape perception, emotion, and behavior. In social psychology, we recognize that human functioning is inseparable from context. Our interactions with others affect our mood, cognition, motivation, and even our physiological health. This is why social context is a core dimension of the SCOPES framework. Yet physical environments — even in the absence of people — also exert measurable effects. Consider how interior spaces communicate safety, warmth, or threat. A familiar chair can regulate stress; a poorly designed one can amplify discomfort. Sensory cues such as scent, sound, and texture influence our emotional states in subtle but powerful ways. Outdoor environments operate similarly. Natural settings often promote restoration, while harsh or polluted environmen...

EASTER: VARIATIONS IN BELIEF

Differences in Religious & Spiritual Beliefs Relevant to the Easter Story By Geoffrey W. Sutton, Ph.D. at suttong.com Like most Christians, my wife and I attend an Easter Service. And, a s usual, the media rise to the Spring occasion with Bible stories, comments from various religious leaders and a few atheists—just to keep things balanced. Other religions are on the back burner until Monday. So many statements of beliefs come from the Easter events.  For now, here’s a sample of some core beliefs from various sources. God: 51% believe in God as in the Bible Statista (May, 2023) reported US belief "in God as described in holy scriptures" at 51%. Another 22% reported a belief in a higher power or spirit. Pew researchers from 2021 find 58% believe in God as described in the Bible and another 32% believe in a God or Higher Power.  Belief in God is obviously a core belief. U.S. belief has declined to 58% having no doubt God exists and another 17% have do...