Skip to main content

Helping Naked Jesus



Convoy of Hope helps after Greensburg KS tornado 2007

King: Come here, you beloved, you people whom My Father has blessed. Claim your inheritance, the Kingdom prepared for you from the beginning of creation. You shall be richly rewarded, for when I was hungry, you fed Me. And when I was thirsty, you gave Me something to drink. I was alone as a stranger, and you welcomed Me into your homes and into your lives. I was naked, and you gave Me clothes to wear; I was sick, and you tended to My needs; I was in prison, and you comforted Me.

Even then the righteous will not have achieved perfect understanding and will not recall these things.

Righteous: Master, when did we find You hungry and give You food? When did we find You thirsty and slake Your thirst? When did we find You a stranger and welcome You in, or find You naked and clothe You? When did we find You sick and nurse You to health? When did we visit You when You were in prison?

King: I tell you this: whenever you saw a brother or sister hungry or cold, whatever you did to the least of these, so you did to Me.

     -- (Matthew 25: 34b-40; The Voice)

*****

     "We need some winter clothes for refugee families."

     "Does anyone have pots, pans, cutlery?"

Requests like these appear on a Facebook group for refugee families. It's that time of year when email and mailboxes include requests for funds. Checkboxes suggest how much we should consider. Photos of hungry children appear on search pages.

[Funny, I just noticed a picture of a smiling black girl with a caption asking me to give.]

Emotional appeals are everywhere. Why? Because they work.

Christians are tuned in to giving at Christmas time. We know about three wise men even if we don't know about frankinsence and myrrh. At least we know about gold. And we know the wise men gave Jesus gifts. (I wonder what his parents did with the treasure.)

There are social norms enhanced by Dicken's famous carol. Sensitive souls shed a tear. It's a good time to ask for money. No one wants to be a scrooge.

The thing I like most about the Matthew text is the integrated universal message. Faith and works are integrated- you shouldn't see faith without works.

And people who meet other's needs are serving God -- even when they don't know it.

I think it worth considering that people who don't meet the needs of the poor do not fare well.

The poor still need the same basic stuff-- a place to sleep, food, drink, clothes, someone to welcome them, and health care.

Wise people give gifts to help those in need. Wise people run businesses and cast votes with the needy in mind.


My website Geoffrey W. Sutton

www.suttong.com








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage Under Reconstruction

The 1950s imaginary sentimental love man as protein-carbs winner (bring home the bacon & breadwinner) marriage has ended for most people in most Western cultures. Some folks retain that image, or some photoshopped version of it, as the ideal traditional marriage.  Picture the happy couple at church with King James Bibles under their arms and you get the Protestant Christian version of this traditional marriage. Changes are a constant The changes in marriage and romantic relationships in the last few decades are staggering for anyone alive before the 1960s. Human behavior is my business. I am a psychologist. The counseling advice offered to couples seems to reflect the mythology of the decade rather than recommendations sourced in science. I would like to say that the nature and extent of the changes in marriage and romantic relationships have never been seen before in human history. But I am no historian. Nevertheless, the changes call for some consider...

Why Social Spaces Are Psychological Forces

Louise Penny has noted that Quebec, the setting of her novels, operates almost as a character in its own right. This observation is more than literary flair; it reflects a psychological truth. Environments exert influence. They shape perception, emotion, and behavior. In social psychology, we recognize that human functioning is inseparable from context. Our interactions with others affect our mood, cognition, motivation, and even our physiological health. This is why social context is a core dimension of the SCOPES framework. Yet physical environments — even in the absence of people — also exert measurable effects. Consider how interior spaces communicate safety, warmth, or threat. A familiar chair can regulate stress; a poorly designed one can amplify discomfort. Sensory cues such as scent, sound, and texture influence our emotional states in subtle but powerful ways. Outdoor environments operate similarly. Natural settings often promote restoration, while harsh or polluted environmen...

EASTER: VARIATIONS IN BELIEF

Differences in Religious & Spiritual Beliefs Relevant to the Easter Story By Geoffrey W. Sutton, Ph.D. at suttong.com Like most Christians, my wife and I attend an Easter Service. And, a s usual, the media rise to the Spring occasion with Bible stories, comments from various religious leaders and a few atheists—just to keep things balanced. Other religions are on the back burner until Monday. So many statements of beliefs come from the Easter events.  For now, here’s a sample of some core beliefs from various sources. God: 51% believe in God as in the Bible Statista (May, 2023) reported US belief "in God as described in holy scriptures" at 51%. Another 22% reported a belief in a higher power or spirit. Pew researchers from 2021 find 58% believe in God as described in the Bible and another 32% believe in a God or Higher Power.  Belief in God is obviously a core belief. U.S. belief has declined to 58% having no doubt God exists and another 17% have do...