Sunday, October 27, 2013

Forgive us: A Sunday Short


Forgive us for
   the ways we have wronged you,
just as we also forgive
     those who have wronged us.

                                            Matthew 6:12 CEB




One of the things I love about the weekends is the time to take a walk. The cross in the picture is at the Wesleyan church I often pass on my walk to another nearby church. It is fitting that there are seats surrounding the cross. We can sit together at the foot of the cross.


The Lord’s prayer is not personal. It is a community prayer. It is a disciple’s prayer. The prayer is about US and WE and what WE have done. WE have wronged. And WE must also forgive.


I am reminded that we live and work in community. When relationships are broken by savage words and deeds, forgiveness is the way to repair the damage. We are in this life project together. Our forgiveness is bound up with God’s forgiveness. Forgiveness works as a whole package. Forgiveness is not just about God and me or me and those I encounter. Forgiveness connects me with God and others. Forgiveness is about us. Forgiveness is an expression of love. Faith is about relationships.

I was not hopeless, though I'd been lost

Now, I felt I was found when He looked at me
With His forgiving eyes


Charlotte Church Sings the Lord's Prayer  YouTube


For other forgiveness posts see September 26 and June 24 on 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment