Skip to main content

Christian Apologizes to LGBTQ Community


A Christian Apologizes to LGBTQ Community: 
Are Public Apologies Helpful?
Geoff W. Sutton

Alan Chambers of Exodus International issued a detailed apology to the LGBTQ community. Exodus International offered a “cure” for homosexuality. Chambers admitted that a lot of people were hurt by their “reparative therapy” interventions. In a detailed text, Chambers accepted responsibility. In his statement and in response to others (e.g., The Atlantic) he repeated, “I’m Sorry” for the hurt and pain.

Here’s a quote from his apology,

Please know that I am deeply sorry. I am sorry for the pain and hurt many of you have experienced. I am sorry that some of you spent years working through the shame and guilt you felt when your attractions didn’t change. I am sorry we promoted sexual orientation change efforts and reparative theories about sexual orientation that stigmatized parents. I am sorry that there were times I didn’t stand up to people publicly “on my side” who called you names like sodomite—or worse. I am sorry that I, knowing some of you so well, failed to share publicly that the gay and lesbian people I know were every bit as capable of being amazing parents as the straight people that I know. I am sorry that when I celebrated a person coming to Christ and surrendering their sexuality to Him that I callously celebrated the end of relationships that broke your heart. I am sorry that I have communicated that you and your families are less than me and mine. 
You can find the full text at exodusinternational.org

So how do people respond?
Some have told me "Wow" and "Incredible!" Others are skeptical.
You can find a lot of reaction to an online interview Chambers gave to The Atlantic – there were more than 300 comments when I checked in.
Many news sources are covering the story but you will find a special report on God and Gays at the Oprah Winfrey Network site, OWN.

Questions abound
We probably won’t know the lasting effects of the apology for some time.
           Will this apology help some people heal?
 Will it change attitudes and reduce hostility toward sexual minorities?
 Will this apology promote forgiveness and reconciliation?
       Will the apology help Christians love those with different sexual orientations? 
 Will the apology help Christians voice disagreements in respectful ways?

     More to come
      I will have more comments about apologies in the near future. Ironically, one of my students, Kayla Jordan completed two studies on the effects of an apology by a Christian toward members of the LGBTQ community. These were completed in 2012 and the article is scheduled for publication this summer.

Read more about sexuality, morality, and Christian cultures in A House Divided available from the publisher PICKWICK and other stores e.g., AMAZON










Comments

  1. I find it interesting that just a few days after the apology the announcement of Exodus' closing was released. Although I appreciate his apology I'm curious as to the timing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. The timing is interesting. Hard to know what to make of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lillian, I see a variety of responses online. Some are favorable and some are not. It seems some are personal- people who underwent the therapy offered by the program. Given other changes in the culture, it would be hard to measure the impact of his apology.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage Under Reconstruction

The 1950s imaginary sentimental love man as protein-carbs winner (bring home the bacon & breadwinner) marriage has ended for most people in most Western cultures. Some folks retain that image, or some photoshopped version of it, as the ideal traditional marriage.  Picture the happy couple at church with King James Bibles under their arms and you get the Protestant Christian version of this traditional marriage. Changes are a constant The changes in marriage and romantic relationships in the last few decades are staggering for anyone alive before the 1960s. Human behavior is my business. I am a psychologist. The counseling advice offered to couples seems to reflect the mythology of the decade rather than recommendations sourced in science. I would like to say that the nature and extent of the changes in marriage and romantic relationships have never been seen before in human history. But I am no historian. Nevertheless, the changes call for some consider...

Why Social Spaces Are Psychological Forces

Louise Penny has noted that Quebec, the setting of her novels, operates almost as a character in its own right. This observation is more than literary flair; it reflects a psychological truth. Environments exert influence. They shape perception, emotion, and behavior. In social psychology, we recognize that human functioning is inseparable from context. Our interactions with others affect our mood, cognition, motivation, and even our physiological health. This is why social context is a core dimension of the SCOPES framework. Yet physical environments — even in the absence of people — also exert measurable effects. Consider how interior spaces communicate safety, warmth, or threat. A familiar chair can regulate stress; a poorly designed one can amplify discomfort. Sensory cues such as scent, sound, and texture influence our emotional states in subtle but powerful ways. Outdoor environments operate similarly. Natural settings often promote restoration, while harsh or polluted environmen...

EASTER: VARIATIONS IN BELIEF

Differences in Religious & Spiritual Beliefs Relevant to the Easter Story By Geoffrey W. Sutton, Ph.D. at suttong.com Like most Christians, my wife and I attend an Easter Service. And, a s usual, the media rise to the Spring occasion with Bible stories, comments from various religious leaders and a few atheists—just to keep things balanced. Other religions are on the back burner until Monday. So many statements of beliefs come from the Easter events.  For now, here’s a sample of some core beliefs from various sources. God: 51% believe in God as in the Bible Statista (May, 2023) reported US belief "in God as described in holy scriptures" at 51%. Another 22% reported a belief in a higher power or spirit. Pew researchers from 2021 find 58% believe in God as described in the Bible and another 32% believe in a God or Higher Power.  Belief in God is obviously a core belief. U.S. belief has declined to 58% having no doubt God exists and another 17% have do...